Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Electives

Today in herbology, as Professor Sprout taught us about gurdyroot's useful qualities, I thought about what elective classes I want to take next year. I take Defense Against the Dark Arts, Charms, Transfiguration, Potions, Herbology, History of Magic, and Astronomy, and I have to continue taking those next year, but I am able to choose extra classes in my third year. The options are:
Study of Ancient Runes
Arithmancy
Muggle Studies
Care of Magical Creatures
Divination
Hogwarts Choir
 Then as we bottled a mixture of gurdy root and water, (which is quite useful to cure headaches), I asked Luna which electives she would be taking. I was interrupted by her snort of indignation when Professor Sprout said, "Although some believe that Gurdyroot wards of Gulping Plimpies, I highly doubt that such creatures exist". Luna was a bit offended at this comment, as she and her father both believe in them.

 Later, as Becky, Luna, and I were studying in the Ravenclaw common room, (well, I was studying, I believe Becky tossed her books aside, and Luna was holding the Quiddler upside down with a rather dreamy expression on her face), I asked again what electives they planned to take. Becky said she has already decided on Muggle Studies, Arithmancy, and Hogwarts Choir. Luna said, "Well, seeing as we need to learn more about creatures such as Gulping Plimpies, Wrackspurts, Blibbering Humdingers, and Crumple-Horned Snorkacks, so that we know how to deal with them, I think that Care of Magical Creatures would be highly beneficial. I also intend to take Study of Ancient Runes, so that I can decipher the Quibbler's runes without the answer key". She also said that she would like to take Divination.

 I am glad that my friends have decided which classes they want to take, however; I have no idea what electives I should take! There's no way I can take them all without using a Time-Turner and being very stressed, but I don't know how I'll ever be able to choose only three or four. (Sigh.)
 Do any of you readers have ideas of what classes I should take? I would love any of your opinions!!
 Thanks for helping!
~Addy

4 comments:

Rose said...

Well, I'd tell you what I'd do, but it really depends on what you like, doesn't it? :)

Here's what I'd say: Care of Magical Creatures sounds fun & you'd be with your friends. Ancient Runes or Arithmancy if you are up for a challenge (but both would probably put you over the edge :P). And Hogwarts Choir if you like to sing/are decent at it. If not, then why not Divination?

Sorry that's all a bit muddled but I hope it helps you somehow! :)

~Rose

addy said...

Thanks very much for your input! It was helpful. =) I'll make a post when I know for sure what I'm going to do.

Anonymous said...

My sister Tirya is taking Study of, Ancient Runes, Arithmancy, and Care of Magical Creatures, but then she is one of those Ravenclaw bookish people .. LOL!!

I am second year so I am still in normal classes. Next year I have no idea what I might take .. summers are fun, but I just love being at Hogwarts.

Laters,
Jayd

addy said...

Hi, Jayd!
Thanks for commenting! LOL, I am in Ravenclaw too. I do try to get my studying done, but it's not all I care about.
Enjoy your summer! I love Hogwarts too, in many ways I can't wait to be back!
~Addy